Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Bible

Yes it's true. I have been reading the bible. It all started when I uncovered this free Introduction to the Old Testament (Hebrew Bible) online course offered by Yale University. The lecturer (Christine Hayes) is fantastic and the course is just plain excellent. So I have been doing the readings and am now well into Numbers having struggled along with Moses and the boys from the desert, into Egypt and back into the desert. What strikes me more than anything is what a bunch of whiners these Children of Israel were. Always complaining. Not enough food. Manna's too boring. Not enough water. It was way better in Egypt. On and on. Moses had the patience of Job (I haven't got to Job yet, but I hear he was patient). Reminds me a lot of the squints at work. The same sort of complaints. The debugging tools are so lame. My machine is too slow. The fruit is always finished by Wednesday. The A/C is too cold. Nothing changes. It's clear us Hebrews did not learn much from our 40 years of wandering.

No comments: