Monday, March 1, 2010

The Human Spark

One of the less enchanting things about living here away from the centers of the civilized world is the fact that more and more sites are disallowing access to media based geography. I am able to avoid some of these problem by owning a US credit card and some sympathetic family in Texas. So I can still buy music from iTunes and amazon does not give me grief. But, I have run into serious issues with streaming media from places like the BBC, ESPN and others. So I was overjoyed to learn that PBS (Public Broadcasting) in the US allows access from anywhere.

I heard quite a lot about the Alan Alda documentary called "The Human Spark" and was surprised when my download dealer (bwo) said "Hey you can watch it on the PBS website". So tonight I watched the first part. It covered a subject I find most interesting. Why did modern humans survive and Neanderthal's die out? I still don't know and don't think anyone does, but the show is well done and well worth wasting an hour on.

Of course, not all is rosy. It crashed both Firefox and Google Chrome and would only run on Windows Explorer. You can't have everything, I suppose.

No comments: