Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Portishead, Glory Box

When Portishead released their debut album, Dummy, in 1994 I immediately loved it. I was into Massive Attack and Tricky at the time and Portishead were a natural fit. Their followup selfnamed album was also excellent and I was very happy when they released Third, this year, after a mere ten years hiatus. I found the clip below on YouTube, its a live performance of Glory Box from 1997. Apparently from the Roseland Ballroom in NYC. Beth Gibbons has a bewitching voice and the whole cigarette in hand is perfect.
The music video for Glory Box is also very cool. When reading about Portishead for the blog, I discovered this short movie by them called To Kill A Dead Man. Apparently, the 9 minute short earned the attention of Go! Records, who subsequently signed them and released Dummy. This Sour Times live performance is also worth watching. I looks to be from the same concert as the Glory Box clip.

No comments: