Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I Beg Forgiveness

Tonight is Yom Kippur and the yearly fast. Its time to ask for forgiveness. Its one of the coolest things about being Jewish. You get to press reset on your sins once a year. So to all of you I have offended, insulted, wanted to see get leprosy for cutting me off at the intersection of Weitzman and Menachm Begin street, gossiped about behind your back, maligned and cheated, I'm sorry. I'll try to be good next year, but no promises. I'm sorry, sorry, sorry.

Blackwifeo, I beg forgiveness for every raised voice, cutting response and cynical question I forced on you and your family over the last year. And blacksono and blackdaughtero, please forgive me, I'm only human, and being a hardass dad is my job.

Hey, and if anyone wants my forgiveness for anything (except for making Sarah Palin your VP pick, that's unforgivable), you got it. We reset the counters, but they start counting again tomorrow.

In the paper this morning they said anywhere between 63-70% of Jewish Israelis fast on Yom Kippur (two papers, two numbers). A much higher percentage than I ever thought.

Gmar Hatimah Tovah (Have a good signing in god's mySQL database of fate - its a known fact he uses open source software).

2 comments:

arnieo said...

The big question of course is did you do the Kapparot thing and can you use tofu rather than a chicken. Forgiveness is fine but you really need to get those sins handed off. Easy fast, happy new year to you, blackwifeo, blackkidso and blackstevieo as well

Jozie said...

Just so you know arnieo, you can substitute money for the live chickens/roosters, as long as you give it away afterward to charity. (that's after you wave it around your head 3 times and say incantations).
The interesting thing to think about is if all your sins go into the chicken, and then you give it to some poor shmuck, is he going to then ingest your sins? Doesn't seem fair at all.