Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The 80% woman

Eek!! I am terrified, so I had better write this before I go completely serious and not spontaneous. I am oliviao, sister-in-law of blackpetero, who has just left for the airport after spending the best 3 days with us in Houston. His departing words were - "which of you is going to write my blog today?" Obviously, husbando did not even volunteer. He only has a very limited quota of words a day, so cannot use them up on something as trivial as writing a blog. So, here goes...

Today is the second day of Rosh Hashanah, and being less than an 80% Jew, I took off work, but did not go to shul. I really wanted to go. I really enjoy going. I like the rabbi, I like the service, the music and the time for quiet contemplation. But I opted to commune with Nature instead. I actually am a very serious believer in G-d, but I'm not at all sure that I have to speak to Him/Her in shul. Maybe I can afford to be lazy and an 80% Jew, because I have a brother who is a 150% Jew, and he is very connected. So, my 80% and his 150% balance out very nicely. Only problem is that he also has to take care of my other brother who is also lapsed - hard work!

All of a sudden, I started thinking about all the other areas of my life that are 80% and not the desired 100%. My wonderful blackfather-in-law, who is definitely in Heaven, used to do the books for my business. Now, although I think I am at least an 80% therapist, I am only a 20% accountant, and a 10% file clerk. Ben was always caught up with his filing and his books balanced to the penny! I channel him all the time, but he does not want to deal with the mess on my desk - not that I blame him!

I try very hard to be an 80% mother and wife - I think that is more than sufficient as I have very forgiving sons, daughters-in-law and husband. But, I don't even need to try to be a 100% grandmother. That is because of my 4, 150% grandchildren. The person who said that the only reason you have children is that you can have grandchildren, was right!

So, is it OK to be an 80% woman?? Maybe its just a rationalization, but 80% is spectacular. It means that you are only off the mark 20% of the time! It also means that you are giving yourself a break - perfection is an impossible goal.

By the way, here are some areas of life that ARE 100% - English sweets, especially humbugs, crunchies and Maynards winegums, audiobooks, Jo's cooking, Spring and Fall days in Houston - 2 of each a year, my family, going on vacation - almost anywhere. And I am sure that after I post this I will say - oh, and I forgot...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you should consider doing your own blog! really enjoyed reading it! thanks, claudia

blackpetero said...

I completely agree with you Claudia. Blacksisterinlawo needs her own blog. Come on, you can do it.

blacksistereio said...

I am the sister of blackpetero and this is my first encounter with his blogs. OMG, what a twisted, cynical view of life! Love it!
As for blacksisterinlawo she did an awesome job, way to go girl!