Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Joiners

It's Independence Day tonight (actually tonight and tomorrow) and even though bwo is living it up with my mom in H-Town, I have been encouraged to continue the tradition and open the house to all and sundry. So I was at the supermarket this morning (third time in three days, Come home already woman!) buying potatoes because Azizza used up the whole bag I bought two days back in a soup (or possibly took them home to new Brighton). I got to the cashier just as she opened: Quite cute and with a nice smile.  She asked me if I was a "member of the club". Every supermarket in Israel has a "club" and you need to join each to get their special discounts. "No", I said, "I am not a joiner of clubs". "I can see that", she answered and smiled ("ro-im" in Hebrew).

All the way back to the office I puzzled. How can she see that?  What makes it so obvious that I'm not a joiner? And what do joiners look like? When I asked the squints no one had a good answer. Supermarket cashiers clearly have superior vision.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Is it getting sunny and warm there? If so, here's my theory. Joiners are not contrarians. Only contrarians (and a few movie-producer-wannabe's) wear all black in a place that gets as hot as Israel. Ergo, you're not a joiner.

oliviao said...

Arnie isn't either!!He is just a grump, not a contrarian, but definitely not a joiner.

blackpetero said...

I've always appreciated the spontaneous use of "Ergo", Unknown. It is not hot enough yet for blackpetero to stand out based on inappropriate dress. And I prefer "dedicated" to contrarian. One must stick by their color.

mart said...

If she could see that you are not a joiner, then why did she ask if you are a member?

Is this the 5 minute argument or do I get the full half hour?

blackpetero said...

told you already