Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Radio Days

It has been a while since I listened to the radio.  My temporary car, Dieter the white Jetta, has no aux input so I cannot listen to my usual fare of lectures, podcasts and audiobooks.  I had to do a bit of driving today (actually I was mostly stuck in traffic) and spent the time listening to the radio.

How depressing.  The BBC went off the air just as I set out, so I had to listen to Reshet Bet, the Israeli answer to talk radio.  The medical residents are planning to walk out in 48 hrs.  They are being paid (I think I heard this correctly) somewhere around 28NIS an hour. They work horrible hours (36 hour shifts) and are expected to look after the sick and dying.  There apparently are between 700-800 residents who are planning to resign, and everyone is hysterical about the imminent demise of healthcare here. The interviewer asked why the "whole medical system will collapse" if 700-800 members of what are more than 22000 medical professionals in Israel resign.  Everyone on the panel (doctors and residents) agreed, that these residents do all the work. All they actually wanted was to talk to Bibi, who it seems is the Minister of Health, along with his day job of pretending to be PM. It seems based on tonight's news that they got their wish. Oh, and on top of that the residents were complaining that Bibi does even use the public health system - he goes private all the way.

The other depressing news I listened to was the whole story of the pigs that burned the mosque in Tuba-Zangariyya. I have no words for this. "Price Tag" indeed. I wonder who will pay the price in the end.

Yes and Assad claims "Syria will shower Tel Aviv with rockets if attacked by foreign powers". And you dare wonder why I prefer listening to lectures.

No comments: