Sunday, January 31, 2010

String Karma

So the wife has a new obsession. Knitting, or to be exact crocheting. In the last week she has made a dozen or so twirly scarflike things that only women could love. I suppose crocheting is to knitting as snowboarding is to skiing. It's just a touch more edgy. Bwo being who she is, this mostly means that I need to use my special knot undoing powers quite often.

They're odd these knot undoing powers I have. I can get in a zone and take the biggest mess of a confused pile of hairy wool and mystically and magically undo it. I have no plan or method, I just let my vision glaze over and let the knot talk to me. I learned yesterday, while listening to a lecture on the Bhagavad Gita, that karma refers to our chosen path through this word (Wikipedia says "Karma refers to the totality of our actions and their concomitant reactions in this and previous lives"). So maybe my life's calling is to be an undoer of knots. I do it with joy and without concern for results - for all I know, I'm quite average at it. Sounds like karma to me. I wonder if the string factory is hiring?

3 comments:

oliviao said...

Must be genetic - Arnie undoes knots for me too!!

Anonymous said...

To be or knot to be, that is the question!!

greta sistererio said...

I am too- we get it from the mother....