Thursday, October 22, 2009

Athens Day two (The conference)

My conference started for real today. I'm back for a short break between sessions and dinner. As many of you know, education is one of my "hot button" issues. I think the biggest issue in the world today (and certainly in Israel) is the quality of education (O.K. poverty is very important, but I think its related). Today's opening session was run by two serious innovators in education (Grant Wiggins and Martin Skelton). I know from last year these guys like to talk about education as learning. They claim there is too much focus on teaching and not enough on learning. All learning is a delta, basically the change from what you knew to what you know. This change is what needs to be measured in school. They went on to share what they thing learning isn't.
  • Learning isn't ... caused by teachers it's what the learner does. (The learner is the key and teachers must adapt to the individual).
  • Learning isn't ... being busy. (Ask why are you teaching this and what does it help).
  • Learning isn't ... about what the teacher says it is, it's they require students to do. (Teach students HOW to learn).
  • Learning isn't ... about current performance. (It's about the change caused in your performance).
  • Learning isn't ... about successful acquisition of content. (The goal of school should not be to be good at school).
I know this is all motherhood and apple pie, but it sounded good when they presented it. I like the fact that they constantly see an issue with the lack of teaching kids to learn. This is such an issue when you finally get to college. Anyway, I am learning.

p.s. Love to all the Goldsmiths out there. Granny is not doing well at all, and my thoughts are will you. She has been gifted with having such an amazingly caring family.

1 comment:

oliviao said...

I think the brain learns from birth to death and what most schools do is bore the brain. When a teacher opens new areas of learning and thinking, kids love their classes. Amazing that our schools are decades behind the research! Enjoy Athens, looks amazing - should be on our list!