Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Athens. Day one.

I arrived in Athens this morning after the taxi to the airport at an ungodly (even for me) 3:30am. Of course, our hotel roo was not really ready so we took a walk around. We are near the Acropolis, and the weather is perfect. So far, there is not a whole lot to complain about, except the hotel room is quite small, I'm sharing with Neville and the internet costs an arm a leg and a liver. We went over to the conference hotel and I see why it is double the cost for a room. They have free internet. I think I may like Athens (so far).
This is the sanctuary of Olympian Zeus. Began in 515 BCE it was never really finished. There were were originally 104 columns (in the doric style), only 16 survive and one of these blew down in a storm in 1852.
You can see the Acropolis on top of its hill. We are going there on a tour on Friday, and there will be more photos then. I am sure you will all be sick of columns by then.
A closer view of the columns of the temple and the Acropolis in the distance.
A nice frieze, in someone's garden. There are quite a lot of excavations going on all around.
This is where Neville and I had lunch. My Greek salad was great. Big pieces of vegetables and an excellent feta. By the time we left it was completely packed. The food was very good actually.

O.K. More tomorrow.

No comments: