Friday, October 23, 2009

Athens. Day three (The Acropolis)

Today after classes we went on a tour of the Acropolis museum and then we walked up the Acropolis to look at the Parthenon. It was very impressive indeed. We had an excellent guide who was very knowledgeable and just spicy enough to make things interesting. I don't have a whole lot of time, so I will briefly comment on the pictures.
This is one of the statues in the museum. As I took this one of the guards shouted at me for taking pictures. There are no signs, and not a lot of explanations. But they have an excellent collection of Greek art.
The museum is built over parts of the ancient city.
This is one of the only views of the Parthenon where yopu dont see the scaffolding all around. They are not really doing restoration, mostly the scaffolding is to keep the columns up.
This is part of the Roman buildings in front of the Parthenon itself.
This is the temple of Athena. I think this is the nicest building I have seen (almost forever).
Same Temple. I came here with my parents when I was 11 and I remember this building from that time. It impressed me then. We were even able to go inside in those days.
The Parthenon itself. It is a beautiful building and well worth the trek up the hill. It was a nice day. Good company and interesting archaeology - what more could you want (I would have liked my bwo to be with me).

3 comments:

oliviao said...

Awesome! You have to read "The Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell if you haven't already. I am busy reading it at the moment and am absolutely fascinated!

Jozie said...

You lucky lucky bastard.
miss you :-)

greta sistererio said...

Thanks for the trip to Greece. So happens I'm studying Ancient Greece with my sixth grade class, so I had them check out all your pics. to make it come alive........ you see education is 'opening doors and turning on lights'.........