Thursday, August 13, 2009

Back to School

Its back to school time for me, blackpetero. I decided that it's time I followed a childhood dream and studied some archaeology. So I took the plunge and signed up for a part time MA from the University of Leicester by "distance learning" (what they call correspondence courses these days). First I have to pass two "bridging courses"; two undergraduate courses that will get me up to speed in archaeology so I don't completely embarrass myself in the MA. The first course (Aims and Methods) arrived today. I was amazed, they sent it by DHL yesterday at 10am UK time and I received it at 5pm today Israel time.

I glanced over the course notes and looked at the subjects for the paper that makes up 100% of the final grade. What a flashback. I got those long forgotten butterflies in my stomach. The last time I felt this sort of excited, anticipatory panic was back at Rice University. How am I ever going to learn all this stuff? Can I really write a reasonable paper and get a decent grade when they quite clearly state that no one ever gets more than 85% (they say "rarely"), 40% is a pass, and 70% is a first. I'm too old for all this. But, hey, you have to follow your dreams. This is a big risk for me people - I hope I can pull it off.

3 comments:

Jozie said...

P. I have no doubt in my mind that you will kick ass. kol ha'kavod, I am proud of you.

oliviao said...

Ooh, can I see your essays? I am sure they will be SOOO interesting! Go for it - you are one of the brightest people I know, so should be a cinch!

Steve Kroser said...

I think you overestimate the risk. At worst you learn a bunch of stuff about something that interests you. At best you take "no one ever gets more than 85% (they say "rarely")" as a tossed gauntlet.

כל הכבוד dude.