Friday, July 26, 2019

Wool

When Bwo gets into something, she really gets into it. Lately it's been crocheting (knitting with one needle). She has conjured up some excellent pieces, more art than clothing. Like any Bwo pursuit it starts small and then grows and grows. So it is with crocheting. I am happy she found something that brings her joy. So what, if we have crochet hooks hidden in sofas and chairs, at least they are not sharp. So what, if I've spent many an hour unraveling (hmm, can be spelled with one or two L's) knotted bits of wool, it's meditative. And so what if on a flight to San Diego Bwo trailed a line of wool from her seat at the front of the plane all the way back to the bathroom, the other passengers enjoyed helping roll the ball up as it was passed back up the aisle. It brings her joy and that's what counts.

I was not surprised when various shipments of wool started arriving at the front door. A few balls here and there, no problem. At least wool is not heavy. Then one day a huge box arrived. A few days later, the empty box reappeared in the recycling pile and I noticed the scene below on the dining room table.
I congratulated Bwo on a clever solution to wool storage, happy in the knowledge that I would not have to break down those terrible cardboard fruit trays from Costco for recycling. They are well glued together. We don't use the dining room table, or the dining room for that matter, so no worries.

I never noticed exactly when, but at some point the 144 balls of wool disappeared from the dining room table. Less crocheting was happening as summer kicked into full gear and the garden became a priority. Then last night, I went to refill my glass of water before bed in Bwo's bathroom (Yes, we have a two bathroom solution, similar to the two-state solution proposed by congress to fix the whole Israeli Palestinian issue). I noticed that her shower curtain was closed and had been for a while. For no real reason, I peeked behind the curtain and to my surprise, this is what I found:
Notice how the three fruit trays (144 balls) are not alone, they now live in the shower along with many more of their closest friends. 

1 comment:

Jozie said...

Welllll, it’s a good thing you never looked in the guest closet. That’s where the cousins live.