Thursday, July 25, 2019

T'is Hot

It's been hot the last few days. And by hot I mean over 100°F. Last night at 8:15pm the thermometer on the NW side of the house read 103°F (39.4°C). Granted that side absorbs the late afternoon heat since Bwo decided the house needs to be painted dark brown. This morning at 5:15am the thermometer read 73°F (22.7°C). That's the 30°F difference which makes the whole house fan so effective. I turn it on as soon as I wake up and enjoy the breeze as it sucks in the cooler air from outside and blows it out the attic. In normal summer heat (when it's below 100°F) the house stays cool until the early afternoon.

When we came to check out Folsom in for a week in Aug of 2016, the afternoon temperature never dropped below 107°F (41.6°C). "It's dry heat" they would say. Tell you what, anything over 40°C should not be allowed. It's so hot that walking across the black tarmac parking lot outside squint central feels like the soles of your shoes are melting. Of course, the corner of the building where I work as freezing as only an American would think acceptable. The shock walking out at the end of the day is like stepping into a volcano. Still Bwo agreed to move here. She complains bitterly about the heat.

No matter how hard the air conditioners at home work they cannot keep the top floor at any reasonable temperature during the later afternoon. So we huddle in the dark downstairs till bedtime. It stays really hot here till after 10pm, then it cools down quickly. I am usually way asleep by then though.


I recently found these pictures of the Les Paul I built in 2008. one of the guys in Algranati's electric guitar course was a professional photographer and he sent me a dozen or so pictures he took when I was done building. It looks quite good in the photo, although the sunburst should have had more lighter yellow to better show off the awesome curly maple. Unfortunately, I don't think my skill has improved much over the years.

No comments: