Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Coffee

Tuesdays are special. On Tuesday mornings I stop at Peet's on my way into work and treat myself to an Americano. The swill they serve here at Squint Central is undrinkable. The baristas all know me by now, I am usually their first customer at 5:30am when they open. My only complaint is that recently they stopped providing those little black stirrers that blocked the hole and stop spills. It's all part of that no more plastic straws moment sweeping California.

A bit of nostalgia. Sabich Tchernikovski, just off Allenby in Tel Aviv. It takes the dude ages to prepare, but it sure is worth the wait. There are no words.

2 comments:

Martin Ünsal said...

You know you can get what seems to me like a pretty decent sabich at Orens Hummus at a few locations in the Bay Area. I don't know if it's 80%, but its decent. I'd love to treat you when you're in town!

blackpetero said...

Hey Martin. It's been too long. I have heard about Oren's Hummus and will visit when I am next in the area. In my experience while the ingredients for sabich or even falafel (I still like Falafel's Drive In in San Jose) can be quite good here in the US, the problem is the pita bread. Bdo discovered Frena Bakery in San Fransisco, which makes the best pita bread in the US in my opinion. Pita bread needs to be a little thick, fluffy and soft, yet elastic with easy access to the split (or pocket). It seems this is not easy with American flour for some reason. You should try some baked goods from Frena and report back.

Anyway come visit us in El Dorado Hills. It has been way too long. We would love to see you and your family.