Sunday, January 5, 2014

UK Haircut

Another Lady by Jo

I had a haircut today. That in itself is not remarkable, I know. The thing is, that going to a new hairdresser is one of the significant indications that one has definitely moved country. Until now, I have been back to Israel enough that I have been able to keep going to Avi. He has been cutting my hair for more than 10 years now (for 60 NIS). We talk a little football (I am now much more up on the game than I was when living in the Holy Land), complain about politics, and importantly he knows when I just don't feel like talking at all.

Anyway my hair was starting to get out of control (like a "bushtiger" my dad would have said). I am off to the US for two weeks this coming Friday, so the time had come. Bwo suggested that I go to her New Zealand lady on the Richmond High Street. What the hell, I'm open to new things, so I gave it a shot. It was quite an interesting and enlightening experience. She washed my hair (twice) and massaged my scalp. And then cut my hair without too much chatter. I really liked that there was some interesting music playing (some sort of English hip-hop) and there was plenty to look at (lots of nice young ladies in tight pants). Most importantly, the one thing I don't like about Avi's place - the TV, was missing. I usually go to Avi's early in the morning and so am subjected to the stupid morning shows on Israeli TV. Inane and irritating, but whenever there's a TV on anywhere in my field of view, I have to watch. So all in all, this UK haircut was a good experience. Was it worth twice the price? That remains to be seen.

No comments: