Sunday, July 1, 2012

Last Week

It's the evening of the first day of my last week at the dig.  It has been awesome so far. Way beyond any on my expectations. It's bittersweet to have only four more days of digging left.  The time has flown by.  I have had the good fortune to be working in an interesting square in a wonderful area with all sorts of finds. Learning more each and every day.  I have also seen my software provide value to the people here.  It feels good to be able to contribute to this effort.


I went home over the weekend and packed up my office as next Sunday I go back to work in the new offices in Yakum. It was quite sad for me.  We have been in the same place for 12 years. From the day I arrived in Israel I have worked on or near the first floor of the building at HaMenofim 1.  Change must come, I suppose.  I will miss Herzliya and it's excellent restaurants and easily accessible supermarkets and drugstores. It took no more than a few hours to get all my office into boxes and then home for an early night as I was up at 3:15am to get to the Tel by 5.


Bwo came out to dig with me last Thursday. She worked in a different area and had a good time. I am glad she got to see what I love about all this.  It is like summer camp for grown ups (well some of us are grown ups).  She also saw how hard it is physically.  I am amazed I am more or less holding up. I ache all over to be honest and this 52 year old body is being taxed to its limit.  I arrived this morning all fresh and full of energy but by 1pm was completely wiped out and could hardly drag myself to lunch. But a shower and two good meal does wonders.


Tonight is the final of the Euro, and most everyone will go over to the Kibbutz pub to watch. I'm going straight to bed. I'll find out the result in the morning. I'll keep it short today, but believe me, I have enough experiences to fill a month of blogs

No comments: