Sunday, May 4, 2008

What's With The Brackets?

I signed up at a prestigious Israeli website today (themarker.com). I used my usual name "blackpetero". On my personal page the heading is: (Peter Ostrin (blackpetero . This is something I have noticed many times, Hebrew and English do not mix on the internet. The brackets particularly seem to be an issue. If you have even tried to type a few English words into a Hebrew doc, you know all about it. The cursor does this funky dance and moves in the wrong direction before understanding its English. I realize dealing with the language direction is difficult, but actually Word seems to have got the English, Hebrew thing together and it behaves predictably once you change the language in the language bar. Its generic (Hebrew) sites that really have an issue. The bracket issue is always tough and I have seen all sorts of documents with ) inverted ( brackets. You would think they would get this right eventually. I suppose in this case 80% is really the best one can hope for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i hate when that happens youd think theyd at least program it right after all these years. Seriously. Its not just brackets its almost every symbol you try to use.

Thats what makes it annoying. It also happend on MSN messenger ETC. Question marks and such show up on the wrong side of the sentence.

Advice- just steer clear of symbols!

-Dana