Friday, October 31, 2008

Three Videos

I was in Amman at the NESA (near east and southern asia council of overseas schools) conference last weekend. I saw a lot and spoke to many people. Three videos that were shown on the big screen during the talks stuck with me. People always complain that the young do not care. They don't care about politics. They don't care about the environment or global issues. Apparently 75% of Americans aged 18-24 are registered to vote in the election on Tuesday. Young people have become a force to recon with. I'm really happy. To quote George Burns. "Young. Old. Just Words." These first two videos are political ads. One for McCain and one for Obama. They are both targeted at young people and both worth watching.




Let's face it, Obama rocks. During one of the sessions on boards of trustees (boring, boring) one of the lecturers showed this video of Father Guido Sarducci (of Saturday Night Live) 5 Minute University. Check it out.



So you see, conferences are not all talking. I can't get the Obama, Obama chant out of my head. Do the right thing America.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just stood in line for 2 hours to vote...........
O B A M A OBAMA OBAMA!!!!!!!!

oliviao said...

Two more votes for Obama - Arnie and I early voted. I am going to be soooo depressed if he does not get in! Such an interesting time here, with so much energy, enthusiasm, hope...Have you voted??

blackpetero said...

Of course I have voted. Voting for Obama in California is a no brainer. I should probably move my home address to Texas. The ballot measures in Cali though, now there is some fight.

Unknown said...

ok, what makes you all so convinced about obama? i mean mc cain is not giving me any answers either, but i do have the impression that obama would like america to go back to the isolationism from before 1917... in my understanding it is important that america is the watchdog of the world. just because bush did such a lousy job, the other party has to be voted? if it was hillary, it would be much easier to make the choice, but obama? what does he have that convinces educated people? or is it a vote , that comes from lack of choice??

Georg said...

Just finished listening to those two videos.

Sorry to say this, but that kind of run-up publicity for election is a disgrace for democracy.

One should vote according to one's interests or ideals but certainly not for the person whose glamour impact and show-biz practices are the most glib.

Let's hope the president elect has more substance than those ads suggest.

Georg

blackpetero said...

For me these videos are about excellence. Look past the politics and look at the production. Its way good. I have strong political views and am will to stand up and duke it out with anyone, but that was not the point here. I just thought these videos were well made. The skill level and production is excellent. I think the Obama one is just way better.

Georg said...

Hope you don't mind my coming back to those videos though they will be forgotten by tomorrow.

I quite agree with you that both are well made.

My point was and is that a candidate should expose his ideas how to solve the problems at hand so as to enable the voter to decide if he agrees with him or not.

Those well-made recordings don't say anything about this, nothing about the complications that lay ahead, about crucial decisions to be taken. those videos are nothing more than sentimental declarations of faith that should satisfy everyone.

I can't help thinking that BO far more sober in his communications than McK but those videos and others could have been made by the same agency.

Georg