Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Speaking in Tongues

I have recently noticed an annoying trend. There is a certain set of native English speakers that insist on talking to me in Hebrew. As if after their 10+ years here in the holy land, they can only express themselves clearly in "Ivrit". It is so irritating. I never could stand those that somehow after a few months in England were talking as if they had attended Eton and Oxford. Or those ex-South Africans that try so hard to sound as though they had been born in LA.

But, why, Oh why, do you think that I will ever answer an English mother tongue, Hebrew wannabe in anything other than English. Clearly once you set up a default language at the onset of a relationship, you do not change it. No amount of "Mah Nishmah's" or "Eich Atah Margish's" will get me to talk Hebrew to someone I have spoken English to since we were born. Naal Raback!!

No comments: