Monday, November 23, 2009

FesterBesterTester and Daughter strike again

For the last several months my lovely blackwifeo has been downloading like there is no tomorrow. Each night I got to sleep thinking I will be awakened in the dead of night by an FBI SWAT team (going hut, hut) swinging in through the windows and confiscating all the computers. This weekend she finally filled the 1 terabyte of storage on the file server. Then she downloaded something that trashed her computer. Dead. I have never seen a more virulent virus. It ate her system folder.

Not to be outdone blackdaughtero called yesterday to tell me her computer was showing the Blue Screen Of Death. Most probably also related to rabid downloading. So I spent some of Saturday rebuilding bwo's machine (called A.D.D.) and now I am sitting here trying to fix bdo's laptop (called tumor). I love them dearly but I swear this is the last time I'm doing this.

8 comments:

Jozie said...

Wait, I thought FesterBesterTester was blackdaughtero, not me. I refuse to be put in the same category as her. Ok. so we both got a little virus at the same time. Ok. But I am not the one who goes thru I-pods,mp3's, camera's, cellphones and headphones on a daily basis. Really BPO, I am hurt to the quick.

blackpetero said...

It's true that she is the real festerbestertester, but as they say the tree falls not far from the apple.

mart said...

I have 1 word to say - and I will say it out loud - LINUX

blackpetero said...

So tell me Mart does your family use Linux at home?

mart said...

bpo, at home I have 1 computer only. (WinXP)The kids have minimal permissions so they can't download or install anything. (Luckily they are still young)
My wife hates the computer so it leaves just me. I am extremely careful so no problem and if I do cause harm, I can only blame myself.
If I had to support multiple users who are surfing and downloading, I think that Linux would be a better choice from a support point of view. Will it be compatible with their needs? Dunno.

blackpetero said...

I do have a linux box at home. It does all the file, web and music serving. Bwo and I have mac laptops. The problem is in this 80% country, there are many web sites you just cannot see if you do not have explorer. Among these are Ben Gurion Airport arrivals/departures and the bank. Not to mention paying Arnona etc. So it is necessary to have at least one windows machine. The kids use windows at school - only because the local Apple dealer is so useless that they were a non starter in the computer tender for the school. The boy needs windoes on his computer, because, after all, games are what life is all about. None of the really hot ones run on Linux.

mart said...

and... let's see you do functional stuff like this on a Windows machine :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYcF_xX2DE8

Laura said...

I recently took Windows off my laptop and switched to Ubuntu. The Male is an avid Linux user, but I always shied away, thinking it'd be too complicated for my little brain. Apparently it's not.