Friday, August 30, 2019

Ancestry

Bwo bought me an Ancestry.com DNA kit for our anniversary in June. I wasn't so sure that I wanted my DNA out there in the world, so I put off sending in my sample for a few months. The kit was sitting under my monitor at home reminding me that I should take care of it all. So a few weeks back I sent off my sample. Ancestry keep sending you text messages to keep you involved. It starts with a "Good news, bpo, we recieved your DNA" through your "sample is in processing" to your "DNA is being extracted in the lab" then your "sample is being analysed". Finally Wednesday night at 10pm I get the message that "Your AncestryDNA results are in". So I logged into the site and guess what!

I am 100% European Jewish. What a waste of $60. Tell me something I don't know. All I wanted was to have a few percent of Inuit blood or maybe some hunter-gatherer blood from Southern Africa, even a drop of Russian Cossack blood would have been welcomed. No, 100% European Jewish. It did not even zero down to Lithuania where both my parents were born. It's so damn boring.

I really dislike the Ancestry site. So busy with so little relevant info. One interesting fact: I gave them no info besides my DNA and they managed to connect me to one of my first cousins in Houston. I did not know he had sent in a sample. So perhaps there is something to this DNA stuff after all.

The sunrises here in Northern California are quite spectacular. When driving into work early this morning the orange light reminded me of the wonderful sunrises over Mount Tabor when digging at Megiddo. I miss that early morning light, the people and the smell of dirt. I miss archaeology.

2 comments:

mart said...

BPO, that is funny. My bro did a test with 23andme and we have some amazing surprises including 4% KoiSan (Hunter Gatherer) in our blood.

blackpetero said...

Hey Mart. All I wanted was some San blood. I am jealous. I am always amazed that anyone reads what I write. Hope all is good with you. Come visit N. Cali some time.