Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Denatured Alcohol and Mini Veggies

This is now ridiculous. I popped over to the local Lowes on the weekend to buy some denatured alcohol. I like the "green" kind because it was 95% ethyl alcohol. It works well for diluting shellac which I use for French polishing guitars. At Lowes the usual shelves were empty, so I drove over to Home Depot, there too, I was out of luck. So I asked at the paint counter. "Sorry, denatured alcohol is now banned in California. You can thank your governor". I was floored. Why denatured alcohol, it is pretty innocuous? I used to use Everclear (grain alcohol) when we lived in Israel, but that too is banned here in California. 

So what am I to do? I immediately went home and ordered a gallon off Amazon. It has not arrived yet, hopefully it's not stopped at the border and send back home. Which seems to be the fashion these days
The lovely people at Squint Central wanted to send "flowers of condolences" after the mother passed on. While we were in Houston I explained that Jewish people usually do not send flowers, but rather food for the Shiva. Well, we had no Shiva cause of the Jewish New Year, so I expected nothing. Last week a wooden box (from Harry and David) arrived filled with perfect mini vegetables. Perfect except for the artichokes. Did you know that even the deer will not eat artichokes. Evil things.
Bwo grilled them up with a little olive oil and salt and pepper. Served with some brown rice and a balsamic mustard reduction (I think that's what she said). It was perfectly delicious. And the wooden box will find a new life in my shop. 

No comments: